HelpUse Museum Collections to search and view information, descriptions and images of objects.
Home | Collections Page | Search | Display Options | Navigation | Related Records
Home PageUse the options in the left menu to begin browsing the collection:
- Type a word under 'quick search' and click to run a general search. eMuseum will find your search word in areas such as title, description, and medium of works in the collection.
- Click the button to browse highlighted groups of objects
- Click the button to search for specific works, using a variety of criteria such as name, country and date.
Collections PageShows highlighted groups of objects. These groups are pre-selected to illustrate themes and to highlight aspects of the collection.
Click the “Collections” option in the left navigation bar to open a list of available collections. Then click on a specific collection to see its related objects.
Display OptionsAfter opening a collection or performing a search, you can view results in various ways:
- Small images with a simple caption
- List with images
- Full details about a specific record
SearchClick the in the left navigation bar to perform a Simple or Advanced Search.
To perform a Simple Search, enter a term in the box and click .
If you are interested in finding people related to the collection rather than the objects themselves, eMuseum will search in the name, biography and nationality fields of those related to works in the collection.
Select people above the term box and enter the individual’s name.
There are four Advanced Search options: Archaeology, Photography, Other Collections, and People. Each option includes slightly different field sets for your search.
The Advanced Search presents you with boxes that allow you to construct complex searches. Choose a field from the first box, a condition from the second box, and a free text value for the third box. In some cases, the third box will automatically have a menu for your choice. See the examples under each of the following Advanced Search options.
Advanced Search for Archaelogy
Archaeological collections include many ceramic and glass artifacts with identified manufacturer’s marks. For example, you can find words, or parts of words, contained in the Marks or Maker fields, such as:
Advanced Search for Photography
To refine your search from the Photographic Collection, try using the park unit field. For example:
Advanced Search for Other Collections
If you are searching for objects that are not archaeological artifacts or photography, you must use the Other Collections option. Examples include:
Is a search for people related to the collections. They could be photographers, artists, cultural groups, collectors, donors and more. As before, select a field you wish to search, a condition, and then a value. Examples include:
Advanced Search Tips
- If you select 'is' as the condition in the second column, a pop-up list of possible terms might appear in the third column to assist you with your search.
- If you select 'can be' as the condition in the second column, a list of possible terms might appear in the third column. Hold the Ctrl key while clicking terms in this list to specify multiple possible values.
- Some search categories, such as Medium and Description, will present you with a Thesaurus checkbox if you select 'is' as the condition in the second column. The Thesaurus option allows you to broaden your search. For example, if you specify a search criteria of "Medium is metal" and check the box for "Thesaurus", eMuseum will find all objects that have 'metal' or any synonymous terms (e.g. 'metals') in the medium field; it will also return any works that have a more specific term (e.g. 'copper', 'bronze', 'silver') in the medium field.
- If you do a search with two fields that returns no results, try searching with a single field.
- If you run an 'is' search that returns no results, try using 'contains' instead.
NavigationThe title of each result page gives you a context for the group of records you are viewing:
- Collection: Specifies the name of the selected collection displayed in the title.
- Object Search: Specifies your object search with your search criterion displayed in the title.
- People Search: Specifies your people search with your search criterion displayed in the title.
On the line below, you have options for moving through the record set. Click the Previous or Next buttons to move forward or backward one page at a time. Click -10 or +10 to move forward by ten pages at a time. Or to select a particular page, click on its number (page 1 is highlighted in the example below).
Related RecordsOn the detail page for specific records (), eMuseum may present you with links to related information. Click these links to begin wandering through the collection, following paths that interest you.
Some names and terms within the detail page may be hyperlinked. For example:
- Click a person's name in the object detail page to open a page of biographical information.
- Click the name of an exhibition to see all objects that were included in that exhibition.